TOLEDO, Ohio — For his first three years as a professional, Charles “Bad News” Conwell has only done one thing.

Dominate.

The 21 year old from Cleveland Heights is 9-0 as a professional with seven knockouts since making his pro debut in April of 2017.

“We’ve seen him spar with world champions and put them down,” said Conwell’s trainer, Roshawn Jones. “He can beat anybody. I’ve seen it with my own eyes.”

It’s been nearly three years since Conwell last loss. The then-18 year old was defeated by India’s Vikas Krishan Yadav in his only bout at the Rio Olympics.

It was the final amateur fight of Conwell’s career.

“I don’t ever want to lose again,” he said. “I work hard every day, push my body to the limit every day, so things like that can never happen.”

So far, so good. Even a broken left hand couldn’t stop Conwell during his fight against Manny Woods in December.

Woods retired after the third round.

“Fighting through an injury like that and still coming out with the win, that was a big thing,” Conwell said.

Now, another big thing is coming Conwell’s way Saturday night. He will fight former Universal Boxing Federation champion Courtney Pennington (12-3-3) for the United States Boxing Association’s super welterweight title at Madison Square Garden.

“This is the biggest fight of my career so far,” Conwell said. “It’s the toughest fight of my career. I feel like he’s fought the better opponents out of all of my opponents so far.”

Conwell would drastically improve with world ranking with a win.

“He’ll be in position to get a world title belt in due time,” Jones said.

Saturday night presents another chance for Conwell to dominate. And turn hard work into a career-changing victory.

“Whatever it takes for me to get to the world title, I’m willing to do that,” Conwell said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here